Friday 24 February 2012

My First Blog - By Teri Etherington

I walked into an event this week. Not really sure what to expect or what I would learn. I arrived late and as I do I see some people I don’t know standing around chatting, after ear wigging for a bit I trundle down and find somewhere to put my coat. As I do I see a few people (about 15/20) sitting around drinking coffee and chatting, people butting in in no particular order (this is known as a track and this IS the event!). As I sit down someone gets up and leaves and no-one seems to acknowledge or even notice.

I got drawn into the conversations really quickly and taking on subjects like 'Is the CV dead' and 'New kool vs old school' they (I want to call them delegates but there not...they are just a bunch of people with some crazy ideas) sit around and debate the subject. Yes it did get a little heated in places and that I realise is the beauty. Passionate people who are not shy, have an opinion and want to share it.

Mostly I am just a fly on the wall getting to listen to people who really challenge my thinking, provide insight into this world which I am just entering and allow me to form new opinions without pressure to join in. When I do join in I find my inquisitive nature answered with so many differing opinions it's great.

After not long, a few open discussion and a few chats in the corridor with people I have never met before I find that not only do I have an opinion but that it is listened to and respected as much as anyone’s else’s. Everyone is a potential candidate to someone and if I am using technology in a certain way then that is right for me and in order to get me to work for you understanding that and then coming to my world is how to do it! I very quickly realise that there is no right or wrong, there is not a one size fits all and I need to find my own way in this world which is ever evolving around me. The overwhelming consensus is that I should just have a go, make some mistakes, be a bit of an idiot online, I manage to do it offline often enough!

It is scary! Hell Yeah! Can I really change the way I communicate, open up my network and connect on a different level both with those I know and those I am yet to meet - sure I can!

Can I really provide content which is engaging? Err I don’t know but hey I'm going to give it a go!

Thank you truLondon - some great people, great ideas and if nothing else it has given me the confidence to write a blog...sort of!

The original blog is at http://scarysocialmedia.wordpress.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment